I
They blame the headaches on hair pulled too tight
They blame the heartaches on the six hour flight
But me-
with scraped knees
I know the truth
Of being a woman, running from her youth.
A woman said to me "I've been there before..."
I guess that's why she walked by every open door.
But she-
with degrees
and letters behind her name
She is still a woman of very little fame.
They blame obscurity on the town where they die
They never blame themselves for reaching too high
But me-
in the trees
I'm still learning to climb
I think, "Finally, I'm a woman, who is now in her prime."
II
The best thing about being a woman is no longer being a little girl.
That's the short and shorter of it.
No more tiny fingers dallying a too-heavy, golden wine glass.
But ringed fingers tapping and wrapped around a bottle of beer.
No more asking everyone around me what to do with my life,
but a knowing smile and an acknowledgment of how things really are.
Baking a pie and making a cute couple--are not my only half-parted strengths.
Now, looking good and sounding smart and sassing back without punishment, apology
--or permission.
Sunday, November 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Reach for the clouds. . .
Tickle your toes. . .
-
it's not possible. I think the problem must be- too much love and hate.
-
Ah, 7. The number in question. During this process of developing my first full-length work of prose, and a memoir to boot, I have considered...
-
Out the window, I thought I saw Emily pale, gawking. a green T-shirt. bouncing firey springs on her head.
-
The Anchor for Joel When love embarks, with its generating propellers slicing through the interminable oceans of imperfection that are, for ...
-
Recently I have been really attempting to delve into what it means to be a poet. Jim Morrison once wanted to be a poet, and look where it go...
-
My latest endeavor is to begin reading "Tell it Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction" by Brenda Miller and Suzanne Paula...
-
I dismiss my mounds of paper, habitual piling. I embrace a soft blue-jay's tail.
-
August 2003! A spree, and the W.A.P another month of you and possibly me W.A.P stands for wild animal park, if you don't remember- the ...
-
It's not the pen It is the ink But it is the dishes and not the sink and it's never in your eye but in your wink it's just froze...
No comments:
Post a Comment