I
They say I am the pedestal woman
I was crafted by genetic mutation
10,000 years ago when beauty shifted--
oh and if you have brown eyes
that train has bypassed
you-scapel sliced through you--
bleeding heart in hand--
oh, but you know that plain
jane is smarter she has power in
numbers that make the world turn
beneath you-without you--since
you are the pedestal woman.
They say I am the pedestal woman--
But I am not a Pewter Spoon,
I am Jade-- sometimes green,
highly esteemed as an ornamental stone
I am Granite--
great hardness, firmness, or durability,
Limestone--the
lifecycles of the depths of the ocean-
They try to knock me down
They try to melt me down
they try to turn me-- to turn
you into molten tears,
But I am Mortar--
I will reduce you to powder.
II
Glass toenails on which she stands--
Seemingly on her feet--seemingly on her hands.
They say she is the pedestal woman.
Head high above the clouds
Arrows they dart, from the simpish crowds--
They nearly knick the pedestal woman.
She is not the remains of a usurped crown
She's not the institution--don't knock her down
Just steer clear of the pedestal woman.
III
Dogmatics slide off the backs of toads
Fault-finding cracks in the roads
I see the stones they are rising
I see the dawn is compromising
and the snow it does melt about my toes
With my people's warmth and not their woes-
They say I am the pedestal woman
For now as I rise above the mist
The supple orange they have kissed
The ivy cast about my hip
The earth descends and lessens grip
I am the familiar goddess of lore
I am the answer for those wanting more
I am not known by name
I am still treated with fame-
So they call me "the pedestal woman"
I am Bronze and not pale
Like the golden god's ale
and they suckle from my seeping glands
Sifting through me like hourglass sands
and I give them the pure whiteness of me
As sturdy as the Shorea tree
Something lives inside the stone
And to no known affliction I am prone-
I am the pedestal woman.
Sunday, November 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Reach for the clouds. . .
Tickle your toes. . .
-
it's not possible. I think the problem must be- too much love and hate.
-
Ah, 7. The number in question. During this process of developing my first full-length work of prose, and a memoir to boot, I have considered...
-
Out the window, I thought I saw Emily pale, gawking. a green T-shirt. bouncing firey springs on her head.
-
The Anchor for Joel When love embarks, with its generating propellers slicing through the interminable oceans of imperfection that are, for ...
-
Recently I have been really attempting to delve into what it means to be a poet. Jim Morrison once wanted to be a poet, and look where it go...
-
My latest endeavor is to begin reading "Tell it Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction" by Brenda Miller and Suzanne Paula...
-
I dismiss my mounds of paper, habitual piling. I embrace a soft blue-jay's tail.
-
August 2003! A spree, and the W.A.P another month of you and possibly me W.A.P stands for wild animal park, if you don't remember- the ...
-
It's not the pen It is the ink But it is the dishes and not the sink and it's never in your eye but in your wink it's just froze...
No comments:
Post a Comment