Brick by Brick
for Gwendolyn Brooks
I was never a King-
but that didn't mean
I didn't have a dream.
No one asked me.
They would just say,
“How do you do,
and how do you do that
on cue?
Sing the blues
In your new shoes?”
They knew this woman had stories
Sitting on top of seven stories,
Wrinkles, lines, and worries,
But this chicken in the coop,
Looked like a Bronzeville beauty from the stoop.
Brick by Brick
those young men tried to climb
up the prison wall of that tenement
gnawing on gummy spearmint
they would lean in close and pull a line.
They'd shine their watches and ask for the time.
They could not see the dream had floated,
they could not see my bare feet were bloated,
This mother hen in the coop,
Looked like a Bronzeville virgin from the stoop.
So Brick by Brick
those young men tried to climb
to reach that floating dream a second time.
To catch my reason from where I sat,
yes, I was aware of all of that.
Friday, April 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Reach for the clouds. . .
Tickle your toes. . .
-
it's not possible. I think the problem must be- too much love and hate.
-
Ah, 7. The number in question. During this process of developing my first full-length work of prose, and a memoir to boot, I have considered...
-
Out the window, I thought I saw Emily pale, gawking. a green T-shirt. bouncing firey springs on her head.
-
The Anchor for Joel When love embarks, with its generating propellers slicing through the interminable oceans of imperfection that are, for ...
-
Recently I have been really attempting to delve into what it means to be a poet. Jim Morrison once wanted to be a poet, and look where it go...
-
My latest endeavor is to begin reading "Tell it Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction" by Brenda Miller and Suzanne Paula...
-
I dismiss my mounds of paper, habitual piling. I embrace a soft blue-jay's tail.
-
August 2003! A spree, and the W.A.P another month of you and possibly me W.A.P stands for wild animal park, if you don't remember- the ...
-
It's not the pen It is the ink But it is the dishes and not the sink and it's never in your eye but in your wink it's just froze...
No comments:
Post a Comment