Private Edgar Perry
for Edgar Allen Poe
I reported for duty,
a Bostonian, surly, moody,
unsteady.
Twenty and two,
not eighteen,
Yes, twenty and two
and not eighteen-
scratching words on the wall
of the latrine.
for five dollars a month.
Obscene.
Yes, I was only eighteen.
The Artificer of Carolina,
my explosive words
proved themselves less lucratively
than the edifice
of shells and artillery.
And at twenty and seven
not twenty and two
yes, twenty and seven
not twenty and two-
reached highest rank and then was through.
But they would not release me.
From the shells and artillery.
My last chance at worldly victory.
I was only twenty and two.
My name is Poe, not Perry.
I wish to marry.
Home, I wish to tarry,
My hardened heart I will carry.
Again, refused.
Heavy, heavy cry.
Heartache, heartache, sigh.
My half-closing eye.
And to the deep trumpet- the wild
Of human battle.
I would chronicle my voice,
"My own voice.
Like, a silly child!–"
Saturday, April 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Reach for the clouds. . .
Tickle your toes. . .
-
it's not possible. I think the problem must be- too much love and hate.
-
Ah, 7. The number in question. During this process of developing my first full-length work of prose, and a memoir to boot, I have considered...
-
Out the window, I thought I saw Emily pale, gawking. a green T-shirt. bouncing firey springs on her head.
-
The Anchor for Joel When love embarks, with its generating propellers slicing through the interminable oceans of imperfection that are, for ...
-
Recently I have been really attempting to delve into what it means to be a poet. Jim Morrison once wanted to be a poet, and look where it go...
-
My latest endeavor is to begin reading "Tell it Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction" by Brenda Miller and Suzanne Paula...
-
I dismiss my mounds of paper, habitual piling. I embrace a soft blue-jay's tail.
-
August 2003! A spree, and the W.A.P another month of you and possibly me W.A.P stands for wild animal park, if you don't remember- the ...
-
It's not the pen It is the ink But it is the dishes and not the sink and it's never in your eye but in your wink it's just froze...
I would chronicle my voice,
ReplyDelete"My own voice.
Like, a silly child!–"
love that considering the fact that these works, examining the vices of others, a fusion of yourself and them, showcase your own writer's voice in such fine style.
and i remember how you described your speaking voice on the voicepost you recorded...
It's in quotes because it is a line from one of his lesser known, but very early works called "Tamerlane" much of the style and ideas are from that poem because he wrote it while he was enlisted.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate that there still some of me in these, I just love that I've so far been able to tackle this project and it just wasn't a big old mess. lol.
what you've done with structure and rhyme in this is wonderful, Amy. <3
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dana! I took a cue from Poe of course.
ReplyDelete