Urine and Lilies
for Pablo Neruda
I had an early love for Walt Whitman.
I did.
He was not by any means a concrete idol,
jutting out over the deserted lines.
he seemed, to me, to simply be
a Man of Truth.
And I've wanted to tell the truth,
since the age of seven.
Flipping through a tattered copy
of Ecran at the age of sixteen
I found my namesake.
I wanted to fall into the creases,
and disappear into the little folded pages,
smelling of urine and lilies.
Whitman sang of America
and I sang of Despair,
which is everywhere else.
Once I learned the supernatural
impressions of word pairings,
I wrote a love poem for every
year I was alive.
I don't think anyone appreciated that.
The love I felt was too naively erotic.
And though I am no, Walt Whitman,
I am the voice of the exotic,
of the psychotic, neurotic.
The Quixotic.
See, I can make rhymes too.
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Reach for the clouds. . .
Tickle your toes. . .
-
it's not possible. I think the problem must be- too much love and hate.
-
Ah, 7. The number in question. During this process of developing my first full-length work of prose, and a memoir to boot, I have considered...
-
Out the window, I thought I saw Emily pale, gawking. a green T-shirt. bouncing firey springs on her head.
-
The Anchor for Joel When love embarks, with its generating propellers slicing through the interminable oceans of imperfection that are, for ...
-
Recently I have been really attempting to delve into what it means to be a poet. Jim Morrison once wanted to be a poet, and look where it go...
-
My latest endeavor is to begin reading "Tell it Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction" by Brenda Miller and Suzanne Paula...
-
I dismiss my mounds of paper, habitual piling. I embrace a soft blue-jay's tail.
-
August 2003! A spree, and the W.A.P another month of you and possibly me W.A.P stands for wild animal park, if you don't remember- the ...
-
It's not the pen It is the ink But it is the dishes and not the sink and it's never in your eye but in your wink it's just froze...
A poem of Pablo Neruda and mentioning Walt Whitman; WOW! I enjoy the line, "once I learned the supernatural impressions of word pairings, I wrote a love poem for every year I was alive," how in the world do you do it? You write definitively from the heart and soul, no question about that, but to write with your soul about people you admire, love, or care for is so magnanimous,I have to say you are becoming a favorite of mine as a poet....I see you up there with Neruda and Whitman...Excellent work here, why have you not been published??
ReplyDeleteI'll continue to read and continue to be fixated on your words. Thanks for the privilege a.m.
why haven't I been published? the easy answer might be that I have gone to the wrong places. most of the rejections I get tell me they love my work but it doesn't fit their criteria, even though I tend to be very selective with the places I send my work too. lol...anyway...
ReplyDeletegot any advice?