Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 26

La Jolla

for Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss)


Barefoot on the coast
after burnt toast
from the long-nosed stove
on the cove.

I will escape the pointy shoe
of you.

I did vow to love you all my life
and keep you always as my wife.

Spinning 'round to turn the ache to something humorous
But you just wanted to be posthumous.

So you clung to the reef
Then hanging by your sleef
Fell down-
with a bumping sound.
Thump
thump
thump

How could you?
I must escape your too tight shoe.

I and you
once under that pinky-blue
You said, "Yes."
before I said "Do you?"

Then you tried on my shoes
that were too loose for you.
That burning hole chew-
you stumbled into.
How could you?

Oh, what a difficult haul,
you, woman, with shoes two sizes too small.
With sharp teeth that bite
stuck in me everynight
How could you?

So I found a rough Diamond, Stone, pure,
So I said "Do you?"


and she said "Sure."

4 comments:

  1. This one feels really close to home.

    Literally...

    Because I lived near Dr. Seuss's house for a while.

    Hah.

    LMAO... Damnn Amy, I effing love it, good work here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in Torrey Hills. Just north of La Jolla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh recently. for some reason I was thinking when you were a kid. hah. that's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Reach for the clouds. . .

Tickle your toes. . .

Poets United Contributor