Reminder
"You do not seem to understand,"
they'd say
"That rivers are wide,
and are not so easily crossed,
we fear, they are not as they appear.
They are not just squiggly blue lines of ink
as you would have us think."
"But are there not bridges?"
I would ask.
-and it would be a reminder.
"You do not seem to understand,"
they'd say
"That bridges are man's most
hair-brained invention, and
we take for granted their
convention. They just
barely hold our weight,
and furthermore, do not
always set our paths
as straight."
"But are they not forged in steel?"
I would ask.
-and it would be a reminder
"You do not seem to understand,"
they'd say.
"Once you cross your bridges,
you set them aflame,
and you cannot recross them,
and we are not to blame."
"But are they not forged in steel?"
I would ask, a little kinder...
But there would be no reply,
and it would be a reminder.
Friday, April 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Reach for the clouds. . .
Tickle your toes. . .
-
it's not possible. I think the problem must be- too much love and hate.
-
When standing in a garden of profundity everything loses it's meaning... and when stopping to smell the chromatic wisdoms you are lost i...
-
there ain't no other place like you to roam. where I dug in my heels and said "No, I won't come home!" Dancing in the warb...
-
August 2003! A spree, and the W.A.P another month of you and possibly me W.A.P stands for wild animal park, if you don't remember- the ...
-
take flight in linen and lace. things will mesh if you want them to. just throw yourself up against it and maneuver dainty fingers over tiny...
-
Ah, 7. The number in question. During this process of developing my first full-length work of prose, and a memoir to boot, I have considered...
-
The Anchor for Joel When love embarks, with its generating propellers slicing through the interminable oceans of imperfection that are, for ...
-
My latest endeavor is to begin reading "Tell it Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction" by Brenda Miller and Suzanne Paula...
-
We're both writers but, why is it that we cannot truly express what it is we feel without the recommendation of a movie reel- We're ...

ooh I like this. I love the idea of questioning what you're told (psh, you and I never do that!), and for providing a reminder when they throw something else back at you. I think the repetition and the bit of rhyme at the end are very effective, too. :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks Dana! Provincial people usually don't make for life-long friends. <3
ReplyDeleteThis is an exquisite piece of writing. The repetition in the poem works very well.
ReplyDeleteI love the part about the 'reminders'.
Brava!
Suzy, thank you. <3
ReplyDeleteAhhhh love it!
ReplyDelete"They just
barely hold our weight,
and furthermore, do not
always set our paths
as straight."
and
""Once you cross your bridges,
you set them aflame,
and you cannot recross them,
and we are not to blame.""
Are fantastic! Sometimes your insight boggles me!
You are my new best friend lol.
ReplyDeleteA great piece that is both literal and metaphorical. What's interesting to me is that both scenarios are gripping within the context of ignorant upbringing.
ReplyDeleteaw, Joel, thank you. <3
ReplyDelete